Let LED light the way
First there were traditional light bulbs (incandescent), then there were eco bulbs (CFL – Compact Fluorescent) and now there are LED light bulbs (Light emitting diodes)
Until last year, I mostly used the CFL bulbs in my home. But that changed when my mum bought me a Moroccan lamp for Christmas. The lamp uses two light bulbs. My mum thought she was being helpful by getting me some light bulbs to go with it. However, when I saw that they were 28 watts each I thought that they would make the lamp much more expensive to use than my main light (which is 11 watts). So I went online to look for a more efficient light bulb and saw some great looking LED bulbs that were only 4 watts each. Although, they were more expensive to buy initially, I worked out that they would save me money in the long run by using less energy.
My Edison style LED light bulb
After using the bulbs, I have now decided that I am going to get LED bulbs throughout the house.
If you are thinking about changing to LED bulbs here are some advantages and disadvantages that you might be interested in.
Advantages of LED Light Bulbs
- Which? say LEDs consume up to 90% less power than traditional light bulbs
- Unlike CFL bulbs, LEDs reach full brightness instantaneously and don’t have to go through a warm-up period
- LEDs are much more environmentally friendly – they are more energy efficient and don’t contain any potentially hazardous material such as mercury
- LEDs are long-lasting and can last 25-30 years so you won’t have to spend money replacing them as often – and you’ll be helping to reduce material consumption and waste
Disadvantages of LED Light Bulbs
- Perhaps the main disadvantage of LEDs is their cost – because the technology is fairly young, the initial cost to transition from conventional lighting to LEDs is much more than switching to CFLs – as manufacturers develop new methods to make LED bulbs, the cost is sure to drop considerably though
If you’re looking to swap to LEDs, why not take advantage of our LED amnesty in our High Street Hub this January and February. Just bring in your old bulbs for 20% off LEDs.