Christmas time – reduce the waste
It’s nearly Christmas! With the focus on what to cook, what to wear and what to buy as presents, it’s easy to lose sight of reducing your waste over the holiday period. Christmas is one of the most wasteful times of the year. Here are some tips to keep you on track and keep your waste down this year.
– Make soup with your leftovers
– Have leftover days
– Buy locally at farmers markets (and don’t forget your own bags)
– Buy products that are in season like beetroot, kale, cranberries and much more (see a list of what’s in season here)
– Plant your garlic before the real frost sets in
– Yes, those new dresses are stunning and that great suit is perfect to impress the in-laws. But do you really need it?
– You could donate that old Christmas jumper, or if you’re looking for a new one, try a charity shop
– Upcycle an old dress or sweater for something beautiful and unique to wear
– Simply wear the same clothes again, I’m sure you still look good in them!
– Make sure you close curtains when it gets dark
– Time your heating so it’s on when you need it most
– Put on a sweater and some socks before turning the heating up
– Make a start on your New Year resolutions and look into switching suppliers
Pick up daily tips to stay warm and save energy this Winter with our Cosy Kingdom Advent Calendar.
I stopped wrapping presents years ago. Now I put them in a bag or wrap them in an old newspaper. Adding a ribbon to that makes it look amazing and saves you a lot of waste (and money)
An example from Pinterest:
For those people with cats, you know my struggle. I do not put up a tree because it’s not worth it! But I also feel it’s not needed – I know it is a tradition though so I’m not going to tell you not to get one. If you get a real tree, it can be reused for compost, wood chipping or replanted in your own garden for next year. So make sure you recycle your tree the right way! You can recycle real Christmas trees in your brown bin, or take them to a recycling centre. Fife Council have advice on what to do with your tree, and other items after Christmas.
Fun things to do:
– Make your own Christmas decorations out of old fabrics, things around your house or natural materials
– Try new recipes
But most of all, make time for yourself and have a wonderful Christmas!|