Celebrate the scariest time of the year by making this delicious muffin recipe.
Basic Muffin Recipe
Time: 15 minutes prep time, 15/20 minutes baking time
- 1 egg
- 120ml milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 200g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
Options for flavoured muffins:
A Handful of grated carrot; a handful of grated apple; 1 mashed ripe banana; raisins and nuts; chopped fresh berries; or other dried or fresh fruits.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease muffin tin or use bun paper cases to line the tin.
- Beat egg with a fork. Then stir in milk and oil. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and add your optional ingredients.
- Add your optional ingredients and stir lightly. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown or skewer comes out clean.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 160g of icing sugar
- Food colouring
1.Beat the butter until soft.
2.Stir in the icing sugar a little at a time.
3.Add food colouring of choice. Pipe on buttercream or spread on the muffins with a warn knife. Use a fork to make patterns.
4.Decorate with sweets and shapes of choice.
- 125g Icing sugar
- 15ml warm water or lemon juice
1.Add warm water or lemon juice to the icing sugar gradually until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Beat until smooth (add more water or icing sugar if required).
2.Add colouring of choice.
3.Pipe or spread onto muffins with a knife.
4.Decorate using sweets and shapes of choice
5.Pipe icing shapes such as webs, ghosts, spiders etc onto greaseproof paper, leave to set and transfer carefully to muffins.|