Community Fridge Volunteer
Our Community Fridge redistributes surplus food from local businesses, organisations and individuals. We receive donations daily, and anyone is welcome to come and take food from the fridge. The fridge is open Monday – Friday, and is located in our building at 8 East Fergus Place, Kirkcaldy. Find out more.
We’re looking for volunteers to collect food donations from local businesses and drop it off at our premises. Most pick ups will be in Kirkcaldy. We do also have Community Fridge duties for non-drivers e.g. sorting donations.
Main duties of role include:
- Collecting food from businesses and returning to Greener Kirkcaldy
- Sorting out food to go in the fridges
- Taking and recording food temperatures
- Speaking to people about food in the fridges
- Friendly and helpful manner when dealing with businesses and the public
- Able to participate independently as a volunteer
- Flexible, organised and good at managing time
Skills and knowledge
- Interest in food and reducing food waste would be an advantage
- Knowledge of the local area and routes would also help
- Full driving licence, access to own transport and vehicle insurance
Support and Training
Volunteers will receive full training, and will be offered further training in manual handling, food hygiene and fuel efficient driver training. We have regular volunteer social events which all volunteers are invited to.
1 pick up per week . Current collection times are:
- Mondays 9am – Aldi Ferrard Road (near Kirkcaldy Train Station) and Lidl
- Tuesday 9am – Aldi Ferrard Road (near Kirkcaldy Train Station) and Lidl
- Thursday 9am – Aldi McKenzie Street (near Rejects) and Co-op Bennochy Road
- Friday 9am – Aldi McKenzie Street (near Rejects) and Co-op Bennochy Road
Would you like to get involved?
Interested? Please contact Lauren by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01592 858458
Our commitment to volunteers
Volunteers are covered by our insurance and training is provided for free. Our volunteer sessions offer a great sense of working together for a good cause, and most importantly it’s great fun! We’re also committed to offering a volunteering programme that helps volunteers: meet new people, use existing skills or learn new ones, improve your CV and gain valuable work experience, all while doing your bit to help our local community and the environment.